As the weather warms, there is no lack of things to do in and on the water in Atlantic City. Of course, the free beaches and Boardwalk are the headliner, but the Atlantic City region is full of sandbars, inlets, bays, lagoons and thoroughfares ideal for surfing, kiteboarding, windsurfing and paddling. Here are places to get your feet (and maybe more) wet:
TOURS AND EXCURSIONS
- Atlantic City Cruises: Hop aboard Atlantic City Cruises' flagship vessel Cruisn' 1 for daily sightseeing adventures in the waters around Atlantic City. Visit with bottle-nosed dolphins on a Dolphin Watching Adventure, or enjoy a calm back bay Happy Hour cruise in the evening. Daily cruises are offered May through October departing from Historic Gardner's Basin.
- Atlantic City Fishing and Dive Center: Have a whopper of a tale to tell your friends with a private fishing excursion to catch flounder, striped bass or sport fish like tuna and shark. Or take a dive trip for lobster hunting, spearfishing, artifact collecting and sightseeing. Departs from Gardner’s Basin.
- Atlantic City Parasail: Soar out over the ocean with a birds-eye view of the AC skyline. Family fun for ages six and up fly solo or with a friend. Leaves Gardner's Basin daily, every 1-1/2 hours from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
SHOPS, OUTFITTERS, LESSONS AND RENTALS
- Atlantic City Surf & SUP School: Accredited by Surfing America and featuring experienced local instructors, this longstanding school specializes in serving all of AC’s casinos and guests. They also host corporate events and birthday parties. This summer, their stand-up paddleboard (SUP) program will offer stand-up paddleboard yoga, eco tours and advanced personal coaching for those looking to refine their stroke. They strive to highlight AC’s free beaches, fun surf and scenic back bays. New shop and surf school located at 101 Boardwalk and New Hampshire Ave Beach
- Bass Pro Shops: This indoor/outdoor wonderland is hand-crafted to reflect the uniqueness of the local area. The friendly staff is eager to create a once in a lifetime experience just for you. Be sure to look around as you walk through the store, from the wide variety of wildlife mounts to the large aquarium featuring local species. This is more than a store and is an experience for each person in your family. They provide the area's largest selection of quality gear for hunting, fishing, camping, boating, and marine. The shooting range is by appointment; you are required to have a NJ Firearms ID and must provide your own gun. 30 N Christopher Columbus Blvd
- Extreme Windsurfing: A well-established windsurf and stand-up paddle boarding shop, it was the first to carry kiteboards and, later, stand-up boards in New Jersey. Their staff has over two decades of experience. The outfitter offers windsurf, kitesurf, and stand-up paddleboards for sale as well as lessons, demos, repairs and rentals. The biggest draw here is that all activities take place in the safe, gentle, sandy private beach of Lakes Bay adjacent to the shop. Behind the Comfort Inn, 7079 Black Horse Pike, Pleasantville
- Inlet Surf & SUP: Run by the same crew as Atlantic City Surf School, Inlet Surf is the retail shop with both new and used surf and stand-up paddleboards. They specialize in locally inspired apparel from Jetty and Clearly Faded. Open weekends in the spring and daily starting May 1. You can book lessons and rentals with AC Surf School here as well. 800 New Hampshire Ave
- Jersey Devil Surf: Run and owned by Dean “The Jersey Devil” Randazzo (the only New Jersey wave rider to have competed on the World Tour) and his brother Joe, they offer the latest in surf apparel from Hurley, Billabong, Volcom, Body Glove and Oakley, plus boards by Randazzo Industries. The city has designated Pennsylvania Avenue, right in front of Jersey Devil Surf, as a guarded surf beach. It’s adjacent to Resorts Casino Hotel, and the beach crowd loves the lessons and the surf school. You might even get a lesson with Dean himself. 1133 Boardwalk